Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Tucano Second Skin-Winner of the first poll

After a poll which review you guys wanted to read next the Tucano Second Skin won with a rather large margin. So as promised the review is here! Enjoy!



Additional links: My Raedan Macbook case/bag review
My fabrixcases case/bag review
English
Deutsch
日本語

Review:

Size: 32,5x22,7x2,75 (in cm)
Color: black
Material: neoprene
Street price: 20-25€

The Tucano Second Skin for Macbooks 13.3 comes in 3 different colors: Red, grey and black. I shall be writing about the black one. I think it's not exaggerated to state that the Tucano Second Skin is one of the most famous sleeves for the Macbook (at least in Germany this is the case). The sleeve itself is made out of neoprene (a material of which divers' suits are made of) and is very lightweight and soft. The zipper of the sleeve is rather average and is good enough for a sleeve like this, I guess. I have seen more high quality zippers used on sleeves though, for example on the Incase Neoprene Sleeve for Macbooks (a review shall be posted soon). What I like about the zippers is: they go pretty far down and you can get your Macbook in and out pretty easily. The printing on the sleeve including the logo in the front and the graphics on the back are simple and do seem cheap in my opinion. It feels like the standard print option you can get in any print shop when you want your individual T-shirt printed. Now to the protection this sleeve offers: the sleeve itself is rather thin and in my opinion offers limited shock absorption but on the other hand the primary goal of sleeves is scratch protection. However, the edges of the Second Skin are reinforced since that is probably the part where the most shock absorption is needed when your Macbook is carried in a messenger bag or a backpack. Scratch protection is the real strength of this sleeve: the inside of the sleeve is soft not to scratch your precious Macbook and as you can see in the 3rd picture there is a small lining along the zippers to protect the Macbooks from scratches that might be caused by the zippers. I especially like that detail as it shows how much thought was put in this product.
The bottom line
The Tucano Second Skin for Macbooks is a decent sleeve. I recommend this bags to all MB owners that carry their MBs in a bag or backpack already and only need scratch protection. The good: The sleeve opens really wide thanks to the zippers that almost go down all the way. The extra scratch protection along the zippers is well though out. Extra reinforcement (shock absorption) along the edges is a plus. The bad: The printing looks cheap. The zippers itself seem average. Last words: Anyone who is on a tight budget should get this bag (one of the cheaper ones and the price-quality-ratio is very good). Someone who doesn't want a bag that almost anyone around him has should probably consider another bag.



MB-switcher

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had zipper problems with my second skin, that was why i bought a blue 10TURIO sleeve (www.10turio.com) without a zipper ;-).

MB-switcher said...

Sorry to hear that with the zippers. Fortunately mine are still good even though like mentioned in the review they're not the best zippers around.

MB-switcher

ak said...

I am trying to decide between the Incase neoprene sleeve and the tucano second skin.

Which one would you recommend if I have it in a bookbag with other books and stuff? I think both cases will be fine for scratch protection, but I am nervous about shock protection since my bookbag only has a leather bottom, no real padding

ak said...

I am trying to decide between the Incase neoprene sleeve and the tucano second skin.

Which one would you recommend if I have it in a bookbag with other books and stuff? I think both cases will be fine for scratch protection, but I am nervous about shock protection since my bookbag only has a leather bottom, no real padding

MB-switcher said...

@abhi
I like them both. A plus for the Tucano is the point that the zippers go almost all the way down to the bottom. This isn't the case with the incase but the padding on the incase is slightly better. And overall the quality of the incase is better (like the zippers, the material). The incase is a bit more expensive though.

MB-switcher

Unknown said...

I just bought Incase neoprene sleeve recently, material and touch are good. but it has 1" extra room on both long side. The MBP is a very sleek, solid portable laptop - a sleeve for it should match it - not be puffy and sloppy.

I recommended the Tucano sleeve second skin that is the perfect one to exactly fit with MBP.

Anonymous said...

I bought the black applesac. I LOVE it cause it fits great, is padded, and doesn't look like what everyone else has. I could only find it at http://applesac.com

MB-switcher said...

thanks for the site...those sleeves sure look individualistic. great collection they have.

MB-switcher

Anonymous said...

check out www.coteetciel.com for their simple but secure and truly stylish laptop sleeves. You can find a review here: http://www.coolhunting.com/archives/2007/12/cte_et_ciel_lap.php

I think they are really outstanding and far ahead everything in terms of design, costruction and colours.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment. I have a black 10TURIO sleeve, too. Great thing.

Anonymous said...

The style is nice but what about someone who wants a tight fitting stylish macbook sleeve, especially the fashion forward female population. I bought my sleeve from www.bellamela.etsy.com. It is handmade, tightly fitting, offering the scratch resistance I need and fits nicely in my bag. Not to mention affordable. It would be cool if you could do a review on one of their sleeves.

Anonymous said...

I´m a proud owner of a Wera White Sleeve (10TURIO).
After i read from this manufacturer here, i bought myself one.

Andrew said...

I am keen to get a skin for my Macbook, but am undecided: I like the incase one, but I am convinced the very white towelling lining is going to get grubby. Any views or input on this? (Can it be washed?) The incase 17-inch nylon sleeve has a lovely plush *grey* lining - if that were available on the 13-inch skin I am sure I would go for that.